YUMI from PenDriveLinux.com is a Windows-only utility program to enable a USB flash drive to easily boot into multiple Linux
and other utility software collections. By default, in order to simplify the process, we will only use YUMI to create the basic YUMI
boot/menu structure (SYSLINUX/GRUB) to allow multibooting. This requires starting YUMI, selecting the correct USB drive letter, clicking on the FORMAT box, and selecting
a "fake" dummy ISO file (empty.iso) needed to create that basic structure.
The 880MB Gooplusplus Multiboot MINI OFFICE collection fits on a USB flash drive as small as 1GB and leaves enough room for an optional 100MB "persistence" file used by Puppy Linux. Unlike other <1GB "MINI" collections, Goo++ MINI OFFICE contains a custom version of Porteus KDE Linux with the full Libre Office 4.1 suite (MS Office clone), printer support, and Google Chrome browser already preinstalled. For those installing to 2GB or larger USB flash drives, you also can install more "addon" distros available via bittorrent download or here to add to your USB flash drive.
This Goo++ collection includes two of the best small Linux distros plus some essential computer software tools and rescue programs. For those who want more, you can start with our larger 4GB Multiboot Meteor (torrent) with more and larger Linux distributions and utilities. The alternate 4GB Multiboot Meteor V2 (torrent) contains a slightly different content mix.
For safety, it is recommend that you remove all other USB hard drives and USB flash drives before starting installation.
You should have arrived at this web document from a selection on the click-START.cmd or click-START-WinXP menu.
(For those with SanDisk USB drives, run SANDISKFIX above first). To begin, start YUMI, select correct drive letter, and click FORMAT box. Next, cursor down to bottom of the distro list to Try an Unlisted ISO, click BROWSE button and select "empty.iso". Next, click YUMI's CREATE button. You will not install any other distros at this time so you can exit YUMI and return to the click-START.cmd menu.
Next, we recommend (option) that you change the USB flash drive's MBR type to UltraISO. This will help ensure that the USB flash drive is bootable on a wider variety of PC's and notebooks. The (BootICE) usbMBR utility does not affect files on your USB drive.
You will only do the SanDiskFIX / YUMI / usbMBR procedure once.
All of the rest is running a self-extracting EXE file to auto-load selected Linux and utility distributions on to your USB flash drive.
TWO PARTS: (1) Multiboot MINI OFFICE collection Basic Install (2) optional "addOn" LINUX and TOOLS
Gooplusplus divides the distro collections into two parts. We chose 32-bit versions for greatest compatibility on both 32-bit and 64-bit computers. In the future, we will add a new and different 64-bit "addon" collection. (You can mix and match 32-bit and 64-bit distros.)
The MINI OFFICE and (optional) ADDON distro collections can be downloaded via bittorrent or directly from Google Drive links. The addOn Linux and Utilities distro EXEs should only be run (added) after MINI OFFICE is already installed on your USB flash drive. The addOn distros (self-extracting EXE files) can be download individually. Run them from your hard drive's click-START.cmd menu.
(1) Do a usb+multiboot+gooplusplus+2013 torrent search by clicking these links:
H33T search -or-
(2) Direct Download (Google Drive): MINI OFFICE folder / files download + OPTIONS: addon : distros
Google Drive AddOn distros: drag & drop addon-*.EXE files from browser to PC's usb-multiboot-mini-office directory (folder)
(1) MINI OFFICE: The small yet exceptionally useful MINI OFFICE is under 900MB. You can view a list of distro contents in the table at the top of this web document. This MINI OFFICE collection can fit on a 1GB USB flash drive and still have room for a 100MB persistence file used by the included Puppy-Racy Linux distro. Besides bittorrent downloading, you can download a self-extracting EXE file with all files necessary for installation from a fast Google Drive account: USB-MULTIBOOT-MINI-OFFICE.exe (1GB)
(2) AddOn : DISTROS Unlike MINI OFFICE, with the addOn : distros collection, each distribution will have its own self-extracting EXE file. If there are distros that you do not want (e.g, GnuGuitarinix or Ubuntu), just uncheck the appropriate box in the torrent file's listing to speed up your bittorrent downloading. You can also add other distros using YUMI. [Edit your USB \multiboot\menu\addon-v3.cfg.]
The LINUX and TOOLS distros in the addON : distros collection were chosen for relatively small size (all but Ubuntu and Zorin are under 700MB), speed, variety, and unique features. If you install all of these distros, you will need at least a 16GB USB flash drive.
(1) You can use 1GB, 2GB, 4GB, 8GB and larger (up to 64GB) USB flash drives. If you install on a larger size USB flash drive, you may want to partition the drive. For larger USB drives, we recommend that you leave at least 1GB available for persistence file use.
Be aware that Windows can only see the first partition on a removable USB drive. Linux, however, can see more partitions so you can resize and create extra partitions for persistence files, data storage, swap files, etc.
(2) MINI OFFICE includes a custom lite version of Hiren's Boot CD 15.2 Linux and Windows utility and rescue software. It has been trimmed to half the size of the original HBCD 15.2 mostly by removing duplicate antivirus and partitioning software. These functions have been replaced by smaller individual AVG Antivirus Rescue and Partition Wizard Home Minitool partitioning distros.
HBCD 15.2 was enhanced by adding the Portable Apps menu and a few small portable apps. When installing MINI OFFICE on a 2GB or larger USB flash drive, more (Windows) portable apps can be added from the Portable Apps menu or web site. Find this menu from Hiren's mini-XP option, then click HBCD Programs and BROWSE. Next, click PortableApps-Start.exe.
New Portable Apps programs should be installed in the USB:\HBCD\Programs\PortableApps directory. Try not to add duplicate utility programs that already exist among the hundreds of included HBCD programs. Existing HBCD programs will typically run faster or better than any duplicate PortableApps programs (some PortableApps don't work with mini-XP).
(3) By default, all Gooplusplus/YUMI menu setup *.cfg files are included for all distros in MINI OFFICE plus AddOn:distros. Since most people will not install the entire 2-part collection, you may want to edit USB:\multiboot\menu\addon-v3.cfg or USB:\multiboot\syslinux.cfg to delete unused menu entries. There are edit options available on the click-START.cmd or click-START-WinXP.cmd menu.
(4) You can (optionally) add or remove Linux and utility distros by running the YUMI program. Make sure that you DO NOT format your USB flash drive a second time (removing all of your USB Linux setup). You will be limited to distros from YUMI's list. While you can "Try an Unlisted ISO", most of the time it won't work. Since new Linux distro versions are always being released, YUMI is updated fairly frequently. It is best to download and use the latest YUMI version in order to install both later + more distro versions.
(5) Once you have installed your YUMI distros, you can reboot your PC. On most PCs, you can keep pressing the F12 key until you get a boot menu. Select your USB drive and then your custom YUMI menu should start up quickly.
(6) Why use YUMI instead of other Linux-based multiboot software? First, YUMI is well known and it works fairly predictably. We have briefly tried a few other multiboot systems but they seemed more difficult and less predictable. Second, there are many more Windows users than Linux users. To encourage Windows users to try Linux, we especialy tried to make this easier for them. More advanced Linux users should be able to access a Windows PC to create their own USB multiboot. Finally, we will still be researching cross-platform multiboot software that works both in Windows and Linux (sorry, Mac).
(7) Send comments, suggestions, or questions to: email@example.com -- Bob Carroll, Las Vegas